Church of Our Lady of the Abbots
The parish church of Our Lady of the Abbots is a Gothic-Renaissance church begun in 1581 by the stonemasons Juan José de Gabadi and Martín de Peñarrieta, based on a design by master builder Amador de Segura. It follows a model widely used in La Ribera: a large nave with three bays, a non-projecting transept and a pentagonal chancel, with chapels between the buttresses. The roof develops an ornamental star vault and, outside, brick walls and a tower at the foot of the church stand out; in the 19th century, an octagonal upper section was added and became the bell tower.nnInside, the high altarpiece (c. 1660-1670) is especially notable, marking the transition from Mannerism to Baroque and preserving its original polychromy. The church also keeps a Baroque altarpiece of Saint Blaise, another dedicated to the Sacred Heart, a Romanist-style Crucified Christ from the early 17th century and a monumental 16th-century baptismal font. The early 18th-century sacristy has groin vaults with sculptural elements and houses paintings of the Fathers of the Church. Part of the parish’s historic heritage is now kept in the Diocesan Museum of Pamplona.